We strive to be the leading marketer, manufacturer and seller of organic and natural products by anticipating and exceeding consumer expectations in product quality, innovation, value and convenience. We are committed to growing our Company while continuing to implement environmentally sound business practices and manufacturing processes. To achieve our goals, we need the very best team of employees. We look forward to developing our future with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Hain-Celestial Canada, a division of the US-based Hain Celestial Group, is a leading organic and natural products company with operations in North America, Europe and India. We provide consumers with superior food and personal care products for a healthier way of life. We are currently seeking a qualified individual to fill the role of R&D SCIENTIST (FOOD EXPERIENCE), DELTA, BC.
The R&D Specialist manages new product development projects as assigned and achieve timelines. Provide technical expertise in the planning, research and execution of new products, product and process improvement and cost reduction.
Project management and execution:
• Develops new product innovations and renovations that meet current trends and align with overall brand vision
• Manages multiple product development projects from concept to commercialization
• Develops and actively manages R&D timelines within a Stage/Gate process to ensure overall business objectives are met
• Communicates with functional teams to ensure that project risks are known and understood by appropriate levels and works with manager to provide contingencies
• Works with suppliers to specify, source and approve new ingredients that meet cost and regulatory requirements
• Incorporates business needs into technical decisions
• Monitors marketplace to identify potential innovation areas, trends and competing products
Conducts lab and plant scale tests:
• Develops benchtop prototypes for use in sensory evaluation and customer presentations
• Resolves technical uncertainties through efficient testing of ingredients and processing parameters
• Analyzes experimental data to formulate scientific conclusions and make logical, next step recommendations
• Conducts formal and informal sensory evaluation to support shelf life studies or technical decision making
• Learns the various manufacturing equipment capabilities in order to select and apply the appropriate line for new products
• Works collaboratively with production team to coordinate and oversee plant scale tests. Tests may be outside normal working hours such as weekends, evenings or early morning
• Leads meetings with implementation team to communicate objectives and plant scale test plan
• Provides direct and/or indirect leadership during trials to ensure that test objectives are met
• Identifies and documents critical trial parameters. Prepares written assessment of plant scale test proceedings and results
Oversees product launch:
• Communicates formula and process requirements to functional groups within the production team (Purchasing, Finance, Planning, QA, Crew)
• Inputs and maintains bill of materials and manufacturing instructions within the resource planning system and nutritional database.
• Responsible for ensuring all documentation and version control procedures are followed
• Assists with monitoring cost savings and R&D spending
• Supports manufacturing by providing technical troubleshooting in situations where formula changes can resolve production issues
• Identifies areas where formula changes can result in increased efficiencies or other cost savings
• Evaluates, tests and approves new and/or alternate ingredient suppliers to resolve ingredient discontinuations or supplier shortages
• Supports corporate regulatory team in the development of package labelling by providing supplier documentation and formula specifics
• Responsible for developing expertise in Non GMO Project requirements to aid in sourcing ingredients.
• Actively manages all ingredient and product submissions to Non GMO Project
• Ability and interest to work in a food laboratory and manufacturing environment
• Knowledge of production capabilities and unit operations; ability to perceive and communicate technical opportunities
• High degree of technical competence, with a comprehensive understanding of food chemistry and ingredient technology
• Knowledge of scientific method and ability to review, evaluate and implement into technical plan for executing projects
• Knowledge of analytical methods, tools and tolerances, and ability to apply in appropriate situations; knowledge of standard laboratory instrumentation and equipment
• Good organizational and time management skills; ability to prioritize effectively, manage multiple projects simultaneously and work under pressure with minimal supervision
• MS Office suite (spreadsheets and databases)
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to build positive working relationships with other departments (Operations, Marketing, Purchasing, Finance, QA)
• Strong communication skills; ability to communicate effectively internally and externally
• Comprehensive understanding of applicable regulations governing composition and labelling
• Knowledge of safety and GMP requirements
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Food Science or related discipline
• Minimum of 5 years experience in an R&D/product development
WHY WORK HERE?
• A ‘Healthier Way of Life’ with our organic and natural products and are committed to social and environmental responsibility through our volunteering, outreach, and sustainability programs
• Competitive benefits (health/dental) and retirement savings package with no waiting periods and a generous vacation plan
• Business casual/jeans dress code where you can wear jeans every day!
• Flexible work hours, summer hours, and work from home one day per week
• Social Committee that plans over 10 fun activities (e.g. Company BBQ, Holiday Party) throughout the year
• Fitness, Nutritional Classes, and Education Reimbursement Programs
• Healthy Snacks every Tuesday for all employees
• Employee Product Sales & free product giveaways every year
Required Fields are marked with a *
Thank you for your application.