- Total time :
- 80 mins
- Prep Time :
- 20 mins
- Cook Time :
- 60 mins
- 60 mL (4 tbsp.) Spectrum® Organic Canola Oil
- 500 mL (2 cups) of sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, minced
- 1 package Yves Veggie® Original Veggie Ground Round
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 250 mL (1 cup) red wine
- 2 (32 oz.) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 5 mL (1 tsp.) dry
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 5 mL (1 tsp.) dry
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove soaked mushrooms from liquid and reserve the liquid.
2. Heat oil over high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, and cook. Stir and cook until veggies are soft, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook. This should take about 6 minutes for the mushrooms to become soft. Add the ground round and continue cooking the mushroom veggie mixture for another 15 minutes so they start to brown, remembering to scrape the bottom of the pan so nothing burns.
4. Add wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Then add the canned tomatoes, thyme and rosemary.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomato paste and maple syrup. Let the mixture simmer for at least 1 hour or up to two hours making sure to stir often for the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. The consistency should be thick. Remove the thyme and rosemary stems, season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve ragu over veggie or gluten free noodles. Sauce keeps ups to 6 days in refrigerator.