Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
- Total time :
- 60 mins
- Prep Time :
- 20 mins
- Cook Time :
- 40 mins
- 3 cups (750 mL) mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese (see note below for Vegan)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft. Stir in mushrooms, garlic and herbs, cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and ground round, breaking up with a spoon. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, tomato paste, peas and peppers. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Topping: In a large bowl, stir together hot sweet potatoes and butter. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Transfer ground mixture to a lightly greased 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan (or 8 cup/2 L casserole). Spoon sweet potato mixture over top.
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Tip: Cook whole sweet potatoes in the microwave until very tender. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh with a spoon.
Vegan: Use Parmesan flavour grated soy topping.