Vegetarian Keema Matar with Cucumber Raita
- Total time :
- 25 mins
- Prep Time :
- 10 mins
- Cook Time :
- 15 mins
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Spectrum® Canola Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated ginger root
- 1 green chile pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch (1 cm) rounds, or to taste
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped tomatoes (1 large)
- 1 pkg (340 g) Yves Veggie Cuisine® Original Veggie Ground Round or (311 g) Garden Ground Round
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each: ground coriander, ground cumin
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen green peas (matar)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala*
- Pinch dried red chile peppers (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh coriander
Cucumber Raita (prepare ahead):
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely shredded or finely diced English cucumber (unpeeled)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) The Greek Gods® Traditional Plain Yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely diced red onion (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch paprika or chili powder
- Prepare Raita: Drain excess liquid from cucumber and blot with paper towel. In medium bowl, mix together yogurt, cucumber, mint, onion, if using and cumin. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 1 day. To serve, garnish with additional chopped cucumber and paprika, if desired.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic, ginger and green chile; cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Stir in tomatoes and ground round, breaking up with a spoon. Stir in coriander and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in peas. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, garam masala and dried chile peppers, if desired. Before serving, stir in fresh coriander. Serve with basmati rice and Raita.
Makes 3 servings
NOTE: Yves Veggie Cuisine® Garden Ground Round is made from wheat and pea protein.
The Greek Gods® yogurt is a source of probiotic bacteria and a source of fibre from inulin.
Garam Masala is a spice blend that contains cumin, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, cloves and nutmeg. Mixtures vary in the spices they contain.
Fresh coriander leaves are also called cilantro.