Stuffed Peppers with Ancient Grains and Roasted Peppers
- Total time :
- 40 mins
- Prep Time :
- 15 mins
- Cook Time :
- 25 mins
- Cook ancient grains according to package directions, using vegetable broth. (Do not lift lid or stir while cooking.)
- Meanwhile, halve peppers lengthwise through stems; remove seeds and ribs. Boil peppers (in batches if necessary) in a large pot of boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender; drain cut side down on paper towel. Set aside; keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, for 6 minutes, until soft. Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute. Stir in ground round and roasted peppers. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Stir ancient grains, tomatoes and parsley.
- Place prepared pepper halves in two large baking dish or large baking sheet. Fill each with about 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot ground round mixture, mounding high. Top with cheese if using; place under broiler to melt cheese. (If desired peppers, can be stuffed ahead, refrigerated and baked in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until filling is hot. You may also reduce pre-boiling time for peppers to 3 minutes.)
Makes 6 servings (2 halves each)
VEGANS: Replace cheese with cheddar or mozzarella style shreds.